Pathways and the New Criteria at the 2013 Annual Conference
In September 2012 many institutions began the transition into the new Pathways model for reaffirmation of accreditation: Standard Pathway, Open Pathway, and AQIP Pathway. In addition, on January 1, 2013, the new Criteria for Accreditation are effective for accredited institutions. The 2013 Annual Conference will offer a variety of opportunities to gain information about both of these important initiatives. See the Commission’s website for details about Pathways and the new Criteria.
Transitioning to Pathways
The General Program will include a number of sessions on the Open, Standard, and AQIP Pathways. Commission staff will provide the latest information on Pathways and will offer special sessions to assist institutions in making a smooth transition. Attendees will hear from institutions participating in the Demonstration Project for the Open Pathway and will have an opportunity to view and test the new Assurance System.
Pre-conference workshops will provide assistance to those institutions that will have early responsibilities in the new Pathways model.
Implementing the Criteria for Accreditation
Sessions in the General Program will explain the new Criteria, provide the details of implementation, and focus on specific topics or themes within the new Criteria. Attendees will have opportunities to hear from some of the first institutions to address the new Criteria in their evaluation processes and to view sample materials. The Pre-Conference workshops will also provide information on the new Criteria.
Overview of the General Program
The General Program will feature more than 100 institutional presentations on a wide variety of topics and issues of current interest to those in higher education. See the list of keywords below.
- Commission staff will provide in-depth discussion of recent changes in Commission policies, with particular focus on institutional change, transparency, and federal requirements.
- Topical roundtables, social functions, poster fairs, and more contribute to the learning and networking opportunities.
- Business Partner Showcases highlight products, services, and tools to serve higher education.
General Program Session Keywords: Accountability • Adjunct Faculty • Adult Learners • Assessment of Co-Curricular Offerings • Assessment of Student Learning* • Collaborations/Partnerships • Communication • Curriculum • Data Collection / Data Management • Diversity • Faculty Development and Evaluation • First Year Programs • General Education • HLC Criteria and Processes • Institutional Effectiveness • Learning Environment • Mission • Online Learning / Distance Learning • Organizational Change • Organizational Leadership • Persistence • Planning • Program Evaluation • Program Review • Quality Improvement • Recruitment / Retention • Service Learning • Teaching / Pedagogy • Technology / Technology Tools • Underserved Populations.
* The 2012 Annual Conference included more than 40 sessions on various aspects related to assessment of student learning.
New This Year…Special Clinics…Updated List...Tuesday, April 9, 2013
In addition to presentations, the Tuesday morning General Program will feature clinics targeted to special interests or needs. The clinics will be held from 8:30-11:15 a.m. There is no additional charge. The tentative list includes:
- Research, Data and Benchmarking
- Creating Your Quality Initiative in the Open Pathway
- How to Write an Academy Update (for members of the Academy on Assessment of Student Learning)
- Navigating HLC's Locations Update System
- Accreditation Liaison Officers: Burning Questions, Networking, Brainstorming
Tuesday morning will also feature additional opportunities to meet with Commission staff liaisons.
Watch for further updates.